Help Desk: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ras/portico/helpdesk
- Dept of Space & Climate Physics
- Faculty of Maths & Physical Sciences
Durham, Co. Durham
GCSE Level: Houghton Kepier School, Tyne and Wear,
A-level: Durham Johnston Comprehensive School,
B. Sc.: University of Leicester
Ph. D.:University of Leicester
Worked as a senior Resarch Associate with Prof. Ian Mann, and sessional lecturer at the University of Alberta in Edmonton from 2001-2013. Appointed Lecturer at UCL/MSSL on 1st April 2013.
My research interests
follow three main themes:
- finding the plasma instability responsible for detonating the substorm,
- understanding magnetosphere-ionosphere coupling at the Earth and at other planets, and
- to understand and ultimately predict the energetic particle dynamics of the Van Allen Radiation Belts, a significant radiation hazard at Earth and at many other planets.
To do this, I study electromagnetic waves and particle populations in Earth`s magnetosphere and ionosphere and develop novel analysis techniques to extract information from both ground-based and satellite missions.
I am a member of the NASA THEMIS Science Team, Co-Investigator on the Canadian Space Agency Next Generation Fluxgate Magnetometer to be flown on the Norwegian ICI-4 sub-orbital rocket, and Co-Investigator on the Canadian Space Agency CARISMA ground magnetometer network.
1st Year "Classical Mechanics"
4th Year/Graduate "Upper Atmospheric and Space Plasma Physics"
Supervised or Co-Supervised:
3 secondary school students
12 undergraduate students
1 Masters student
1 PhD student
|01-APR-2013||Lecturer||Dept of Space & Climate Physics||University College London, United Kingdom|
|01-JAN-2004 – 31-MAR-2013||Research Associate||Dept. of Physics||University of Alberta, Canada|
|01-JAN-2001 – 31-DEC-2003||Post-Doctoral Fellow||Dept. of Physics||University of Alberta, Canada|
|2001||PhD||Doctor of Philosophy – Space Physics||University of Leicester|
|1997||BSc Hons||Bachelor of Science – Physics||University of Leicester|