Help Desk: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ras/portico/helpdesk
- Lecturer B
- SoP Pharmaceutical & Bio Chemistry
- UCL School of Pharmacy
- Faculty of Life Sciences
Dr. Prieto-Garcia's research started at elucidating the effect of anti-inflammatory medicinal plants and natural products on enzymes of the arachidonate pathway using targeted lipidomics. This state-of-the-art research was developed during his PhD (2001, Universitat de Valencia, Spain) alternating with visits to world-class centres such as the Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences (University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany) and the William Harvey Institute (Queen Mary University, London, UK). After his PhD, he was immediately appointed as Young Researcher of the EU funded project 'Insect Chemical Ecology' (INCHECO) to explore the biochemical interactions between plants and insects (2001-2004, Department of Bioorganic Chemistry, Universita degli Studi di Pisa, Italy) gaining a wide experience in phytochemical analysis. He afterwards joined the Centre for Pharmacognosy and Phtotherapy in April 2005 as a Postdoctoral Researcher on a European Union funded consortium developing standardised extracts of Cannabis for use in the treatment of migraine and rheumatoid arthritis.
Current Research Lines:
- Herb-Drug interactions (Antidiabetic and Antimalarial plants)
- Anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and anticancer natural products with dual COX/LOX inhibition and targeted lipidomics.
- Role of NFkB and CB2 receptors in the in the STR/ORT mouse model of osteoarthritis (Collaboration with the Royal Veterinary School)
- Computational chemistry for the prediction of the bioactivity of complex mixtures of natural products and food supplements.
- Direct NMR for the metabolomics of tinctures.
Past Research Lines:
Preclinical development of antiallergic food supplements, development of new NMR-based metabolomic strategies and applying artificial intelligence to drug discovery. Modulation of eicosanoid release by Traditional Chinese Medicines, 5-LOX inhibitors in skin inflammation, antioxidant and antinitrosative properties of natural products, and the ecological role of plant steroids.
My teaching duties include
Undergraduate Teaching includes:
- Separation and Chromatography , MPharm Year 1.
- Herbal Medicines in Community Pharmacy, MPharm Year 2.
Postgraduate Teaching (Master level):
- Course Director of MSc in Pharmacognosy .
- Module leader of Therapeutic Uses of Plants, Analytical Techniques in Pharmacognosy and Methods in Pharmacognosy (Mpharm Year 4 an MSc in Pharmacognosy)
Continuous Professional Development
- Separation and Chromatography for Qualified Pharmacists.
|2011||PGCLTHE||Postgraduate Certificate in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education – Education - Postgraduate||Institute of Education|
|2001||PhD||Doctor of Philosophy – Pharmacology||Universidad de Valencia|
|1998||Cert.||Certificate – Cancer Studies||Universidad de Valencia|
|1996||Cert.||Certificate – Genetics and Medicine||Universidad de Valencia|
|1995||MAS||Masters – Pharmacy||Universidad de Valencia|
|1993||LDA||Licenciado/Licenciada – Pharmacy||Universidad de Valencia|