Help Desk: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ras/portico/helpdesk
- Senior Lecturer
- Speech, Hearing & Phonetic Sciences
- Div of Psychology & Lang Sciences
- Faculty of Brain Sciences
My research involves many aspects of speech science and technology: speech production, hearing, speech perception, speech acquisition, speech synthesis, speech recognition and speaker recognition.
Recent research activities include:
- Centre for Law-Enforcement Audio Research (CLEAR). A joint research centre with Imperial College London that investigates methods for the enhancement of degraded speech signals.
- Avatar Therapy. A project that investigates the use of computer avatars in the provision of therapy for sufferers of auditory hallucinations (hearing voices).
- KLAIR Virtual Infant. A machine learning toolkit for the study of the computational modelling of early speech acquisition by infants through real-time interaction with caregivers.
- VOQAL Voice Quality Toolbox. A toolkit for the analysis of changes in voice quality caused by aging, disease or stress.
I teach courses in the acoustics of speech and hearing, experimental phonetics, and computational methods for research in speech and hearing science.
|1982||PhD||Doctor of Philosophy – Phonetics||University College London|
|1976||BSc||Bachelor of Science – Physics||University of Warwick|