Help Desk: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ras/portico/helpdesk
- Language & Communication
- Div of Psychology & Language Sciences
- Faculty of Brain Sciences
My current work involves an examination of acquired progressive speech disorders in everyday conversation. Using the principles of conversation analysis this research investigates features of naturally occurring interaction produced by people with motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis and parkinson's disease in conversation at home with family members. The outcome will include the development of a dysarthria interaction profile tool for health professional use. This research is supported by a Department of Health National Institute of Health Research (NIHR) post-doctoral fellowship award (2009- 2013).
Other research work includes :
- SLT values and beliefs in palliative care (British Academy Funded: 2012-2015)
- AAC scoping research for the Department for Education (DfE funded: 2012-2013)
A conversation analytical examination of Parkinson's UK advice line calls between a specialist nurse and people with Parkinson's Disease (2012-2013).
- An evaluation of the Leonard Cheshire Disability (LCD) communication project. The evaluation is examining the effects of a national staff training programme on both staff and service users within LCD residential homes. The research is funded by Leonard Cheshire Disability (2006-2009).
In addition I am an Associate Editor of the International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders, the official journal of the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists.
- Faculty of Brain Sciences Graduate Tutor for research.
- Module co-ordinator for: BSc Speech Sciences, MSc Speech and Language Sciences and Doctorate in Clinical Communication Science.
- Teaching includes: Assessment and management of motor speech disorders; augmentative and alternative communication; conversation analysis, and professional development, policy and practice.
|2006||PhD||Doctor of Philosophy||University of London|
|1998||MSc||Master of Science||University College London|
|1991||BSc Hons||Bachelor of Science (Honours)||Birmingham Polytechnic|