Help Desk: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ras/portico/helpdesk
- Senior Lecturer
- Dept of Civil, Environ &Geomatic Eng
- Faculty of Engineering Science
Nicola Christie has been an active researcher in road safety since 1985. Her research experience covers 16 years at Transport Research Laboratory, 10 years at the University of Surrey and time as senior consultant at MVA. Nicola’sresearch interests have focused on the causes and consequences of road traffic collisions and other unintentional injuries and the evaluation of interventions to reduce injuries. She is particularly interested in the relationship between deprivation and road traffic injury. She is a member of the Miskin group - a collaboration of leading researchers in the fields of injury prevention http://www.miskin-group.org.uk/. Nicola is also a member of Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety www.pacts.org.uk/ and is part of their Road User Behaviour Working Party and provides advice on their reports. She was a contributing author for the WHO report on child and adolescent road traffic injury (2008) and on publications by the European Occupational Safety and Health Executive on work related road risk. In 2008 she was an expert witness for the House of Commons Transport Select Committee on the topic of road safety in the wider context. Nicola’s research has been funded by a range of clients including the Department for Transport; Department of Health, Home Office,Local authorities; professional organisations such as ADEPT, consultancies and charities.
Examples of recent research projects
- Psychosocial Impact of Injury study National Institute of Health Research (Department of Health)
Young driver safety education (Surrey County Council)
- Young driver safety and occupational road safety (West Sussex County Council)
- "Making the Link” Evaluation of organisational learning to improve child safety (Child Accident Prevention Trust/DoE)
- Road safety and the Somali community (London Borough of Hounslow)
Child road safety and poverty (Northern Ireland Government)
- Impact of injury (Monash University)
- “Footmiles – a step towards sustainability” seedcorn funding under the EPSRC scheme (Models and Mathematics in Life and Social Sciences)
- Sustainability of road safety partnerships in the “Big Society” (Guild of Experienced Motorists – Road Safety Charity)
- Strategic review of the management of occupational road risk (Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents)
- Joined up research for joined up agendas: stakeholders views on the potential for developing new data sets that join up measures of mobility, safety, sustainability and health (UCL Crucible funding)
Current PhD Supervision:
I teach road safety engineering, policy and research methods on MSc Transport. and dissertation coordinator for this programme.
I am module leader for Engineering Impacts Assessment for the first year civil engineering undergraduates and supervise 3rd year undergraduate projects.