UCL  IRIS
Institutional Research Information Service
UCL Logo
Please report any queries concerning the funding data grouped in the sections named "Externally Awarded" or "Internally Disbursed" (shown on the profile page) to your Research Finance Administrator. Your can find your Research Finance Administrator at https://www.ucl.ac.uk/finance/research/rs-contacts.php by entering your department
Please report any queries concerning the student data shown on the profile page to:

Email: portico-services@ucl.ac.uk

Help Desk: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ras/portico/helpdesk
Publication Detail
Why do general dental practitioners become involved in clinical teaching? A pilot study exploring the views of part-time practitioner teachers, King's College London.
  • Publication Type:
    Journal article
  • Publication Sub Type:
    Journal Article
  • Authors:
    Davies BR, Leung AN, Dunne SM
  • Publication date:
    05/2013
  • Pagination:
    461, 465
  • Journal:
    Br Dent J
  • Volume:
    214
  • Issue:
    9
  • Status:
    Published
  • Country:
    England
  • PII:
    sj.bdj.2013.433
  • Language:
    eng
  • Keywords:
    Attitude of Health Personnel, Career Choice, Career Mobility, Cohort Studies, Dentists, Education, Dental, General Practice, Dental, Humans, Job Satisfaction, London, Motivation, Personal Satisfaction, Pilot Projects, Reward, Schools, Dental, Teaching
Abstract
INTRODUCTION: Dental schools in the United Kingdom are becoming increasingly reliant on the services of part-time teachers to deliver the clinical educational component of the dental course. Their background is predominantly from general dental practice but the opportunities to progress in the system are limited. The aim of this study was to ascertain the views and perceptions of such teachers at a dental school. MATERIALS AND METHODS: An anonymous, non-incentivised online survey was used to obtain both qualitative and quantitative views of the part timers. RESULTS: The department has n = 40 part-time teachers and there was a response rate of 78%. Overall 73% were satisfied with their current teaching position, whereas the remaining 27% of teachers were seeking higher rewards both in terms of recognition and status. CONCLUSIONS: This study demonstrated the need for formal teaching skills and training to be made available to part-time clinical teachers. Allied to this is the requirement for a clearly defined and achievable career pathway.
Publication data is maintained in RPS. Visit https://rps.ucl.ac.uk
 More search options
UCL Researchers
Author
EDI Continuing Professional Develop.
University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT Tel:+44 (0)20 7679 2000

© UCL 1999–2011

Search by