Institutional Research Information Service
UCL Logo
Please report any queries concerning the funding data grouped in the sections named "Externally Awarded" or "Internally Disbursed" (shown on the profile page) to your Research Finance Administrator. Your can find your Research Finance Administrator at https://www.ucl.ac.uk/finance/research/rs-contacts.php by entering your department
Please report any queries concerning the student data shown on the profile page to:

Email: portico-services@ucl.ac.uk

Help Desk: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ras/portico/helpdesk
Publication Detail
Association of 10-year C-reactive protein trajectories with markers of healthy aging: findings from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing.
  • Publication Type:
    Journal article
  • Publication Sub Type:
  • Authors:
    Lassale C, Batty GD, Steptoe A, Cadar D, Akbaraly TN, Kivimäki M, Zaninotto P
  • Publication date:
  • Journal:
    The journals of gerontology. Series A, Biological sciences and medical sciences
  • Medium:
  • Status:
  • Print ISSN:
  • Language:
  • Addresses:
    Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, University College London, London United Kingdom.
Elevated systematic inflammation is a hallmark of aging, but the association of long-term inflammation trajectories with subsequent aging phenotypes has been little examined. We assessed inflammatory marker C-reactive protein (CRP) repeatedly over time and examined whether long-term changes predicted aging outcomes.A total of 2,437 men and women aged 47-87 years at baseline (1998-2001) who were participants in the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing had CRP measured on two or three occasions between 1998 and 2009. Inflammation trajectories were computed using latent-class growth mixture modelling and were related to aging outcomes measured in 2012/2013: physical functioning, cardiometabolic, respiratory, mental health, and a composite "healthy aging" outcome.Four CRP trajectories were identified: 'stable-low' (71% of the sample) with baseline mean 1.33mg/L remaining <3mg/L; 'medium-to-high' (14%) with baseline 2.7mg/L rising to 5.3mg/L; 'high-to-medium' (10%) with baseline 6.6mg/L decreasing to 2.4mg/L; 'stable-high' (5%) with levels from 5.7 to 7.5mg/L. Relative to the stable-low trajectory, individuals in the medium-to-high had a higher risk of limitations in basic activities of daily living (ADL, Odds Ratio; 95% Confidence Interval: 2.09; 1.51,2.88), instrumental ADL (1.62; 1.15,2.30), impaired balance (1.59; 1.20,2.11) and walking speed (1.61; 1.15,2.24), arthritis (1.55; 1.16,2.06), hypertension (1.57; 1.21,2.04), obesity (1.95; 1.36,2.80), poor respiratory function (1.84; 1.36,2.50), and depression (1.55; 1.13,2.12). A lower odds of healthy aging was observed in people in the medium-to-high (0.57; 0.40,0.79) and stable-high (0.50; 0.27,0.91) trajectories.Older people who displayed an elevation in CRP levels over a decade experienced an increased risk of adverse aging outcomes.
Publication data is maintained in RPS. Visit https://rps.ucl.ac.uk
 More search options
UCL Researchers Show More
Division of Psychiatry
Epidemiology & Public Health
Behavioural Science and Health
Mental Health of Older People
Behavioural Science and Health
Epidemiology & Public Health
University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT Tel:+44 (0)20 7679 2000

© UCL 1999–2011

Search by