Institutional Research Information Service
UCL Logo
Please report any queries concerning the funding data grouped in the sections named "Externally Awarded" or "Internally Disbursed" (shown on the profile page) to your Research Finance Administrator. Your can find your Research Finance Administrator at https://www.ucl.ac.uk/finance/research/rs-contacts.php by entering your department
Please report any queries concerning the student data shown on the profile page to:

Email: portico-services@ucl.ac.uk

Help Desk: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ras/portico/helpdesk
Publication Detail
The European Thoracic Surgery Database project: modelling the risk of in-hospital death following lung resection.
  • Publication Type:
    Journal article
  • Publication Sub Type:
    Journal Article
  • Authors:
    Berrisford R, Brunelli A, Rocco G, Treasure T, Utley M, Audit and guidelines committee of the European Society of Thoracic Surgeons , European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
  • Publication date:
  • Pagination:
    306, 311
  • Journal:
    Eur J Cardiothorac Surg
  • Volume:
  • Issue:
  • Status:
  • Country:
  • Print ISSN:
  • Language:
  • Keywords:
    Adult, Age Factors, Aged, Databases, Factual, Dyspnea, Europe, Female, Hospital Mortality, Humans, Lung, Lung Diseases, Lung Neoplasms, Male, Middle Aged, Models, Statistical, Risk Assessment, Thoracic Surgical Procedures
OBJECTIVE: To identify pre-operative factors associated with in-hospital mortality following lung resection and to construct a risk model that could be used prospectively to inform decisions and retrospectively to enable fair comparisons of outcomes. METHODS: Data were submitted to the European Thoracic Surgery Database from 27 units in 14 countries. We analysed data concerning all patients that had a lung resection. Logistic regression was used with a random sample of 60% of cases to identify pre-operative factors associated with in-hospital mortality and to build a model of risk. The resulting model was tested on the remaining 40% of patients. A second model based on age and ppoFEV1% was developed for risk of in-hospital death amongst tumour resection patients. RESULTS: Of the 3426 adult patients that had a first lung resection for whom mortality data were available, 66 died within the same hospital admission. Within the data used for model development, dyspnoea (according to the Medical Research Council classification), ASA (American Society of Anaesthesiologists) score, class of procedure and age were found to be significantly associated with in-hospital death in a multivariate analysis. The logistic model developed on these data displayed predictive value when tested on the remaining data. CONCLUSIONS: Two models of the risk of in-hospital death amongst adult patients undergoing lung resection have been developed. The models show predictive value and can be used to discern between high-risk and low-risk patients. Amongst the test data, the model developed for all diagnoses performed well at low risk, underestimated mortality at medium risk and overestimated mortality at high risk. The second model for resection of lung neoplasms was developed after establishing the performance of the first model and so could not be tested robustly. That said, we were encouraged by its performance over the entire range of estimated risk. The first of these two models could be regarded as an evaluation based on clinically available criteria while the second uses data obtained from objective measurement. We are optimistic that further model development and testing will provide a tool suitable for case mix adjustment.
Publication data is maintained in RPS. Visit https://rps.ucl.ac.uk
 More search options
UCL Researchers
Clinical Operational Research Unit
Clinical Operational Research Unit
University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT Tel:+44 (0)20 7679 2000

© UCL 1999–2011

Search by