UCL  IRIS
Institutional Research Information Service
UCL Logo
Please report any queries concerning the funding data grouped in the sections named "Externally Awarded" or "Internally Disbursed" (shown on the profile page) to your Research Finance Administrator. Your can find your Research Finance Administrator at https://www.ucl.ac.uk/finance/research/rs-contacts.php by entering your department
Please report any queries concerning the student data shown on the profile page to:

Email: portico-services@ucl.ac.uk

Help Desk: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ras/portico/helpdesk
Publication Detail
Aminoglycoside antibiotics cochleotoxicity in paediatric cystic fibrosis (CF) patients: A study using extended high-frequency audiometry and distortion product otoacoustic emissions.
  • Publication Type:
    Journal article
  • Publication Sub Type:
    Journal Article
  • Authors:
    Al-Malky G, Suri R, Dawson SJ, Sirimanna T, Kemp D
  • Publication date:
    02/2011
  • Pagination:
    112, 122
  • Journal:
    Int J Audiol
  • Volume:
    50
  • Issue:
    2
  • Status:
    Published
  • Country:
    England
  • Language:
    eng
  • Keywords:
    Adolescent, Aminoglycosides, Anti-Bacterial Agents, Audiometry, Evoked Response, Audiometry, Pure-Tone, Child, Cystic Fibrosis, Female, Hearing Loss, Humans, Male, Pneumonia, Bacterial
Abstract
UNLABELLED: Despite known ototoxic effects of aminoglycoside (AG) antibiotics, audiological assessment is not routinely undertaken in UK CF patients. Consequently, the incidence of hearing loss is not well established. OBJECTIVE: To document the incidence of hearing loss in cystic fibrosis (CF) children. DESIGN: Hearing function of 45 children from Great Ormond Street Hospital was assessed using pure-tone audiometry up to 20kHz and DPOAEs up to 8kHz. STUDY SAMPLE: 39/45 of participants had received intravenous (IV) AGs, 23 of which received repeated IV AGs every 3 months. RESULTS: In this high exposure group, 8 (21%) had clear signs of ototoxicity; average 8-20kHz thresholds were elevated by ∼50dB and DPOAE amplitudes were >10dB lower at f2 3.2-6.3 kHz. The remaining 31/39 (79%) of AG exposed patients had normal, even exceptionally good hearing. The 21% incidence of ototoxicity we observed is substantial and higher than previously reported. However, our finding of normal hearing in children with equal AG exposure strongly suggests that other unknown factors, possibly genetic susceptibility, influence this outcome. CONCLUSIONS: We recommend comparable auditory testing in all CF patients with high AG exposures. Genetic analysis may help explain the dichotomy in response to AGs found.
Publication data is maintained in RPS. Visit https://rps.ucl.ac.uk
 More search options
UCL Researchers
Author
The Ear Institute
University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT Tel:+44 (0)20 7679 2000

© UCL 1999–2011

Search by