Help Desk: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ras/portico/helpdesk
- Professor of Infectious Diseases and International Health
- Div of Infection & Immunity
- Faculty of Medical Sciences
GLOBAL/INTERNATIONAL R&D: http://www.unza-uclms.org/
Professor Zumla’s research has focussed on killer infectious diseases affecting adults and children:
a). RESPIRATORY TRACT INFECTIONS particularly, Tuberculosis (TB), TB-HIV/AIDS co-infections., Community and Hospital acquired pneumonia.
b). INFECTIOUS DISEASES with epidemic potential and threaten global health security. i). Multi-drug resistant Tuberculosis. ii). Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) and Ebola. iii). Antibiotic resistant infections.
1.CLINICAL TRIALS FOR EVALUATION NEW DIAGNOSTICS, DRUGS, TREATMENT AND PROPHYLACTICS FOR RESPIRATORY TRACT INFECTIONS: Professor Zumla has created significant international, multi-country collaborative networks between academics, health care workers, healthcare providers, and policy makers for the conduct of multi-centre GLP/GCP clinical trials, the results of which have changed global clinical practice.
2. PATHOGENESIS AND EPIDEMIOLOGICAL STUDIES: In 2002, a large autopsy study of 264 Zambian children undertaken by Prof.Zumla and colleagues yeilded high impact data on pathogenesis of killer respiratory tract infections. Sentinel epidemiological and clinical studies have shown the emergence of extensively drug resistant TB. Several autopsy and molecular studies of adults and children are ongoing.
3. RESEARCH INTO THE EPIDEMIOLOGY, DIAGNOSIS, TREATMENT AND PREVENTION OF KILLER RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS ESP TB, TB/HIV, CAP AND MERS-COV: Laboratory and translational clinical research on longitudinal cohorts of patients is leading to development and evaluation of rapid diagnostics (urine, sputum and blood based) and biomarkers for diagnosis, response to treatment, cure and relapse. Novel biomarkers of cytokine ratios, urine and filter paper based TB diagnostics tests have been developed and current work focusses on development of new and novel rapid TB diagnostic technology, in inpatient settings in paediatric and adult wards. These data are novel show a huge clinical load of undiagnosed sub-clinical TB leading to new screening diagnostic algorithms and now call for more pro-active screening for TB at all points of care.
1. Undergraduate Medical students: Infectious diseases/microbiology/tropical Medicine/Clinical bedside 2. Supervision of PhD students 3. Supervision of postdoctoral scientists
2. Visitng Professor to the several Institutions eg: Institute of Child Health, London; University of Zambia School of Medicine;Lusaka, Zambia; University of Cape Town, South Africa; Liverpool School of Medicine; University of Amsterdam; Karolinska Institutet.
3. External examiner for MSc and PhDs to several national and international universities.
4. BOOKS AND SPECIALIST JOURNAL VOLUMES:
A) TEXTBOOKS: Editor of 19 textbooks including Granulomatous Disorders; Return of the White Plague; Clinics in Chest Medicine -Tuberculosis; Infectious Diseases Clinics of North America vols x 3; the global 'classics: a) Manson's Tropical Diseases,21st and 22nd editions. b) Tuberculosis- a comprehensive Clinical Reference. c) Perspectives in Medicine-TUBERCULOSIS -edited with S.Kaffmann (Max Planck) and Eric Rubin (Harvard)
B) JOURNAL THEME SERIES: Several TB SERIES: eg: a. Lancet 2006 and 2010 series; b). Lancet Infectious Diseases Series 2012, c. Lancet Mass Gatherings Medicine series 2014; d. Lancet ID Series on Emerging RTIs; e. Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine series 1999-2014, f. ID Clinics North America, g. International Journal of Infectious Diseases TB series 2015.
5. GLOBAL HEALTH CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT: Founder member and pioneer of Global Health at UCL in 1996 with Prof J.Yudkin -starting with forming IHMEC-Intl Health Medical Education Centre at UCL-SSMs in international health, intercalated BSC in International health at UC which progressed to MSCs.
6. TEACHING THROUGH HIGH PROFILE JOURNAL THEME SERIES: 1. Lead 'guru' Lancet TB Theme series (2010), 2. Chief Guest Editor Journal of Infectious diseases volume on TB, TB/HIV/AIDS-unanswered questions and controversies 2012, 3. Guest editor, Lancet Infectious Diseases series on Tuberculosis (2013, 2016), 4. Guest Editor Lancet Resp Med Series (2014), 5. Lancet Mass Gatherings Medicine Series (2014), 6. Lancet ID Series on Emerging RTIs (2014, 2016), 7) IJID TB series (2015), 8) Editor,Current Opinion in Pulmonary Medicine Infection Series (2000-2016).9) Editor, ID Clinics of North America (2008,2012).
|1987||PhD||Doctor of Philosophy – Medicine||London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine|
|1984||MRCP||Member of the Royal College of Physicians – Clinical Medicine||Royal College of Physicians|
|1981||MSc||Master of Science||University of London|
|1979||MB.ChB||Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery – Clinical Medicine||To be updated|
|1976||BSc||Bachelor of Science||To be updated|