Help Desk: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ras/portico/helpdesk
- Senior Lecturer
- The Bartlett School of Planning
- Faculty of the Built Environment
Robin is a Reader in Transport Planning and the City at the Bartlett School of Planning (BSP), University College London (http://www.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk), and a Visiting Research Associate at the Transport Studies Unit (TSU), University of Oxford (http://www.tsu.ox.ac.uk). He is Director of the MSc in Transport and City Planning (http://www.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk/planning/programmes/postgraduate).
He previously worked in consultancy as an Associate Director and led on transport research at Halcrow (2004-2011); was a Research Fellow at the TSU, University of Oxford (2009-2011); and worked at Llewelyn Davies (1999-2004); and Surrey County Council (1995-1999). He has research interests in transport and climate change, urban structure and travel, integrated transport and urban planning strategies, the affective dimensions of travel, and sustainable transport strategies in the UK, Europe and Asia. He has co-authored the following books/best practice guides:
- Hickman, R., Givoni, M., Bonilla, D. and Banister, D. (2015) Handbook on Transport and Development, Cheltenham, Edward Elgar.
- Chen, C-L, Hickman, R. and Saxena, S. (2015) Improving Interchanges. Toward Better Multimodal Railway Hubs in the PRC, Manila, Asian Development Bank.
- Hickman, R. and Banister, D. (2014) Transport, Climate Change and the City, Abingdon, Routledge.
- Hickman, R., Fremer, P., Saxena, S. and Breithaupt, M. (2011) Changing Course in Urban Transport. An Illustrated Guide, Manila, ADB.
- Hickman, R., Purkiss, J. and Hamilton-Baillie, B. (2007) Rural Streets and Lanes: A Design Handbook, Kent Downs AONB Unit.
- Pharoah, T., Hickman, R. and Herbert, J. (2002) Going to Town: Improving Access to Town Centres, London, NRPF, DTLR.
Robin has authored and contributed to a number of policy research studies concerning sustainable transport, and urban structure and travel, including:
- Travel Vulnerability in London and Manila, University of Oxford, UCL,
- De La Salle University (Newton Fund, British Council, 2015-16)
- Sustainable Integrated Tram-Based Transport Operations for Peripheral European Regions (SINTROPHER PLUS) (EU INTERREG IVB, 2007-14, 2014-15)
- Synergy of New Advanced Public Transport Solutions Improving Connectivity in North-West Europe (SYNAPTIC) (EU, INTERREG IVB, 2012-13)
- INTRA-SIM Auckland (University of Auckland, Auckland Council, 2010-13)
- Visioning and Backcasting for Transport in Jinan, China (VIBAT-Jinan) (University of Oxford Future of Cities Programme, 2010-11)
- INTRA-SIM Oxfordshire (Oxfordshire County Council, 2009-10)
- Visioning and Backcasting for Transport in London (VIBAT-London) (for UrbanBuzz, HEFCE, 2007-09) [http://www.vibat.org]
- VIBAT-UK (UK DfT, 2005-06)
Urban Structure and Travel
- Planning for Sustainable Travel (UK CfIT, 2008-09) [http://www.plan4sustainabletravel.org]
- Rural Streets and Lanes: A Design Handbook (Kent Downs AONB Unit, 2007)
- Sustainable Cities Manual: Transport (UK CABE, 2008-09)
- Science Review on How to Design a Sustainable Environment (UK DTI Foresight Panel, Intelligent Infrastructure Systems Project, 2007)
- Transport and City Competitiveness: Literature Review (UK DfT, 2002)
- Going to Town: Improving Town Centre Access (for the NTPF and DTLR, a companion guide to PPS6, 2002).
Sustainable Urban Transport in Asia
- Improving Multi-Modal Interchange Hubs in China: An Illustrated Guide (ADB, 2013-14)
- Major Projects and Carbon Footprinting (ADB, 2012)
- Changing Course in Sustainable Urban Transport. An Illustrated Guide (ADB, 2010-11)
- Carbon Impacts of Major Transport Projects (ADB, 2009)
- VIBAT-India and Delhi (ADB, 2008)
He has also project managed and contributed to numerous transport planning projects and masterplanning projects whilst in consultancy, including Smarter Travel Choice investment in Local Transport Plans (LTP3) (Sustrans and FoE, 2011); the DaSTS Corridor 10 study (London-Leeds) (DfT, 2010); the North London Sub-Regional Transport Scoping Study (TfL); Thames Gateway Integrated Transport and Land Use Study (TfL); Canning Town and Royal Docks Transport Study (TfL); Park Royal Strategic Masterplan (PRP); Cambridge Northern Fringe and Eastern Expansion Studies (Cambridge County Council); Brixham Masterplan; Camborne, Pool and Redruth Masterplan; Coatesville Mainstreet Revitalisation (USA); and Merseytram Design Guide (Merseytravel).
Robin is Director of the MSc in Transport and City Planning and coordinates/lectures or contributes/has contributed to the following courses (see course outlines at: http://www.bartlett.ucl.ac.uk/planning/programmes/postgraduate):
MSc Transport and City Planning
BENVGTP1: Transport Planning and the City
BENVGTP2: International Case Studies in Transport and City Planning
MSc Mega Infrastructure Planning, Appraisal and Delivery
BENVGMP6: Sustainability Visions and Challenges for Mega Infrastructure Investments
BENVGMP7: Group Project (Northern Line Extension to Battersea)
MSc in Sustainable Urbanism
BENVGTC5: Sustainable Urban Development Key Themes
BENVGTC7: Group Project (Detroit/Stockholm)
BENVGSU4: Planning Project/Dissertation
He continues to guest lecture at the University of Oxford on the MSc in Nature, Society and Environmental Policy and MSc in Sustainable Urban Development.
|2007||Dr||Doctor – Planning studies||University College London|